Dresden, Germany

June 16, 2016

Dresden, Germany

June 16, 2016

Dresden was never a city that spiked high on my Germany to-see list until I stumbled across it trying to find a midway point between Berlin and Prague on my mini-Europe adventure. A bit of research led me to the Striezelmarkt, which is one of the oldest and most traditional Christmas markets in Germany. That alone secured the city as a stop on my trip, but I absolutely fell in love with the place as I spent time exploring, and here are just a few of the many things I love about the city!

Panoramic view of Dresden
Panoramic view of Dresden – this is the view that made me fall in love with Dresden!
Panoramic view of Dresden
Panoramic view of Dresden – how often do you actually see green river banks in a city?
Panoramic view of Dresden
Panoramic view of Dresden
Dresden Altmarkt with Germany's oldest Christmas Market
Altmarkt with the famous Christmas Market
The Fürstenzug, Dresden
The Fürstenzug
Dresden Frauenkirche, also known as the Church of Our Lady
Dresden Frauenkirche
Sun setting behind Dresden Cathedral, Katholische Hofkirche, Germany
Sun setting behind Dresden Cathedral
Christmas market food Trdelník, Dresden Germany
Trdelník – commonly found in Czech Republic, but we stumbled upon several stalls in Dresden that made these. And yes, they did all need to be sampled.
Artwork in Dresden Neustadt, along Alaunstraße
Artwork in Dresden Neustadt
One of the musical buildings in Kunsthofpassage, Dresden
One of the musical buildings in Kunsthofpassage
One of the musical buildings in Kunsthofpassage, Dresden
One of the musical buildings in Kunsthofpassage
Artwork in Dresden Neustadt, the New Town
Artwork in Dresden Neustadt
View from the river bank of Dresden Old Town, Altstadt
View from the river bank of Dresden Old Town
German Christmas market lights
German Christmas market lights which are hung in homes all over Germany during the festive period

Apple on a Christmas tree in Dresden, GermanySpiral crisps at a German Christmas Market in Dresden, Germany Merry-Go-Round at Dresden's Altmarkt Christmas market, Germany  Drinks stall at Dresden Christmas Market, Germany

You can find my Dresden postcards here, or see what else I got up to in the city here.

11 Comments

• Nicholas Peart June 16, 2016 at 9:22 am

Great photos! This is a city I would love to visit

• staktoria June 17, 2016 at 12:11 pm

Looks like a magical place! Very curious as to what the “Trdelník” tasted like! Was it sweet?!

• Michaela@ThisFPPlanet June 17, 2016 at 3:42 pm

Never thought much about Dresden – in fact I always thought it’s name suggests that it’s quite dreary there! But these photos are lovely!

• Nic November 3, 2016 at 7:19 pm

I visited Dresden last year, without expecting much, but in the end I loved it, I thought is was utterly beautiful!
    If you have some time, have a look at my views from this city :)(https://golightlyscloset.wordpress.com/2015/06/28/dresden-sad-beauty/)

xx
    Nic

• I wasn’t expecting much either, and was using the city more as a stop in between Hamburg and Prague. Definitely somewhere I love though, and the Christmas markets were amazing! And wow, love your photos!

• Nic November 3, 2016 at 10:59 pm

Thanks! I’ve heard Christmas markets in Germany are the best. I need to go there someday around Christmas time 🙂

• Dacian March 11, 2017 at 9:23 am

Amazing! Stunningly beautiful photos! Wasn’t really sure if I wanted to go to Dresden, but I have to admit it gained some points now haha

• Thank you! Dresden never really ranked high on my to-visit list, but I’m really glad I went there and got to see another side to Germany. I’d definitely recommend a visit at Christmas 🙂

Let's Chat!

Pop your email address below to subscribe to this blog and you'll get an email to let you know when I post something new!

Join 1,714 other subscribers